Since REAKTOR 5.8, establishing an OSC connection with third-party controllers has been simplified for better ease of use. This article will explain how to establish a Lemur connection via a local network on a Mac for use with REAKTOR 5.8.
Create a Local Network
- First of all, click on the network icon from the Menu bar top right of the screen.
- Select Create Network from the drop-down menu.
- Choose a Network Name. In this example the name is clem.
Join the Network with your iPad
- On your iPad go to Settings > Wi-Fi and look for your network name. Click on it to join it.
- Click on the right arrow to see its properties. After a few seconds the IP Address should appear. Make a note of the 12 digit number, which should begin with 169.254.... You will need to enter this number further along in this tutorial.
REAKTOR 5 OSC Settings
- Open REAKTOR 5. Click on File>OSC settings. Make sure the box next to OSC Activate is checked and that Receive on Port is set to 10000.
- Click on the OSC Send tab.
Create a new OSC Target by clicking on New. In the Identifier column rename the newly created default entry to iPad. Under IP Address enter the number you made a note of earlier on in the tutorial. Set the Port to 8000.
Setting up Lemur on your iPad
- Open Lemur.
- In the Preferences screen go to the OSC Targets list.
- Click on Add Target.
- Set Host to your local IP address as given under Reaktor > Preferences > OSC settings > OSC Receive > Local IP address name and set the Port to 10000.
Note: In the Lemur software you cannot set the incoming OSC port. It is always set to 8000.
- In the Lemur Preferences load any layout (eg. Studio Combo).
- Go back to Reaktor OSC Settings and click on OSC Receive. Move any slider on Lemur. A list of data messages should appear.
- In REAKTOR 5 open a new ensemble and create an instrument. Add a Knob.
- Open its Properties (right-click on the icon and select Properties).
- Click on the Connect tab. Under MIDI & OSC CONNECTIONS select OSC SEND.
- Click on Add Target and select iPad.
- Now it is necessary to set the Address Pattern so that it matches one of the Lemur objects address patterns. The easiest to do this is to move a slider on your iPad and check which name appears in REAKTOR's OSC RCV tab. Say we move Fader1 in the Studio Combo template. Incoming messages will look like /Fader1/x 0.5264. Copy and paste /Fader1/x into the Address Pattern area under OSC SEND so that it looks as such:
- Now move the Knob in REAKTOR 5. The first fader in the Lemur software will move.
You are now ready to use Lemur with REAKTOR 5.