When starting your KOMPLETE KONTROL software, the keyboard doesn't react as expected. In this case, its display remains black.
This behavior can be caused by different factors. Click the possible causes one by one to be redirected to the corresponding troubleshooting steps below in the article.
- The KOMPLETE KONTROL software is not up to date.
- The services NIHardwareAgent or NIHostIntegrationAgent are not running in the background.
- The HAL plug-in directory in the System Library folder contains drivers which are not supported.
- The computer's system drive is formatted in a case-sensitive format.
- There is an issue with the USB connection.
Install the latest version of KOMPLETE KONTROL from the Not installed tab in Native Access. If your operating system does not support the latest software update, you can download an earlier compatible version from the Update Manager.
Make sure that both the NIHardwareAgent and the NIHostIntegrationAgent applications are set as startup items.
- Open your Mac's System Preferences and choose Users & Groups.
- Make sure your account is selected under Current User and go to the Login Items tab. Verify if both NIHardwareAgent and NIHostIntegrationAgent are listed in the login items.
- If any of these two items are missing in the list, add them by clicking the '+' icon.
- Navigate to the following location:
Mac HD > Library > Application Support > Native Instruments > Hardware
- Select the missing service and click Add:
Note: If the services are missing from the Hardware folder, please reinstall KOMPLETE KONTROL's latest update. Read chapter 1.3 - "Downloading and Installing a Software Product Update from the UPDATES Page" of this article to obtain more information. Make sure to disconnect your KOMPLETE KONTROL keyboard from your system during installation.
The NIHardwareAgent and NIHostIntegrationAgent services are now set as a login items. Restart your computer, start the KOMPLETE KONTROL software and check if your KOMPLETE KONTROL keyboard starts as expected. If this is not the case, continue troubleshooting.
Your Hal plug-in folder in the System Library folder may contain a driver which prevents the KOMPLETE KONTROL keyboard from starting correctly. The solutions are as follows:
3.1. Update the AVID CoreAudio Driver
In most cases the issue will be fixed after the installation of the latest update of the AVID CoreAudio Driver. If installing the latest update of the AVID CoreAudio Driver is not an option or the issue persists, please continue:
3.2. Removing the Avid CoreAudio Plug-in
Disclaimer: This procedure describes the manual uninstallation of a third-party manufacturer component. Native Instruments cannot be held responsible for any damages to your system caused by following these instructions.
- Open Finder and navigate to the folder:
macOS 10.14 (or older): Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plug-Ins > HAL
macOS 10.15: Macintosh HD > System > Library > Audio > Plug-ins > HAL
- Copy the "Avid CoreAudio.plugin" to another location, for example the Desktop.
- Delete the "Avid CoreAudio.plugin" from the HAL Plug-in folder.
- Type in the admin password when prompted.
- Restart your computer.
While you can fully use Pro Tools without the Avid CoreAudio plug-in, it is not possible to monitor the audio output of any CoreAudio application using your Avid HD audio interface after removing the file. If you should require this functionality again, move the file back to its original location in the HAL folder and restart your computer.
3.3 Updating / Removing Other Plug-ins
If there are more ".plug-in" files in this folder, visit the manufacturer's website and install the latest updates for these plug-ins. Should the problem persist, try temporarily removing the ".plugin" files from the HAL folder as explained in step 2 above.
Case-sensitive hard drive formats are not supported by Native Instruments products and will prevent the KOMPLETE KONTROL keyboard to start as expected. This article explains how to find out if your hard drive's format is case-sensitive. If it is not, continue troubleshooting.
Use the original USB cable provided with your KOMPLETE KONTROL keyboard. If not available anymore, this article contains information which will help you choose a suitable USB cable.
If possible, always connect your KOMPLETE KONTROL keyboard directly to your computer's USB port. If you must use a USB-hub, make sure it has its own power supply.