The installation of an NI product update fails on Windows, e.g. with this error message:
Installation failed: Uninstall error
Further symptoms include:
- The NI software installation fails.
- The NI driver installation fails.
- The NI products are not displayed under Programs and Features in the Windows Control Panel.
- The NI installer asks you to uninstall first before installing, although the program has been uninstalled.
- The component you want to install in a NI installer is marked with a red cross.
This usually happens if a product installation has been interrupted before being completed and the installer is not able to uninstall the previous version.
The NI Uninstall RegTool can fix issues with update installations or reinstalls. Follow these steps:
- Download the file NI Uninstall RegTool_64bit.zip attached at the bottom of this article and unzip it.
- Right-click the extracted file NI Uninstall RegTool_64bit.exe and choose Run as administrator:
- If a User Account Control window pops up, confirm with Yes.
- Select the product that is causing issues, e.g. The Giant and click Remove selected product:
- Confirm with OK to start the process.
Now you can start the installation of the NI product again.