This article presents solutions for the different crashes or freezes you may experience with your MASCHINE 2 software.
1. MASCHINE 2 crashes or freezes at startup in standalone mode
Watch this video, which explains how to reinitialize the MASCHINE 2 database, if your MASCHINE 2 software freezes or crashes at startup.
2. MASCHINE 2 crashes due to performance issues
If you experience audio artifacts, crackles, or stuttering before MASCHINE 2 crashes, the crash is probably due to a performance issue. Please refer to this article which explains how to manage computer performance in MASCHINE 2 in order to avoid this crash.
Additionally, check that your Buffer Size in the MASCHINE 2 preferences is set to a higher value, such as 256 or 512. More information is available in the Windows and Mac Tuning Tips for Audio Processing articles.
3. MASCHINE 2 was not installed properly
Follow the steps below in order to uninstall MASCHINE completely from your system:
- Mac: How to Uninstall Native Instruments Software from a Mac Computer
- Windows: How to Uninstall Native Instruments Software and Drivers from a Windows Computer
Note: Uninstalling and reinstalling MASCHINE 2 will not affect your saved projects or samples.
After uninstalling, launch Native Access and reinstall MASCHINE 2 from the Not Installed tab.
4. MASCHINE 2 crashes due to missing Windows updates
If you are a Windows user, make sure all your Windows components are up to date. To do so, follow these steps:
- Click the Windows Start button, type in 'windows updates', and hit the enter key.
- Check for updates.
- Install all available updates.
- After all of the updates are installed, restart your computer.
- Repeat steps 1. to 4 until no more updates are available.
5. The currently used audio driver was not installed properly or is corrupt (Windows users only)
In MASCHINE 2, make sure you always use the ASIO driver for your soundcard, and not the DirectSound or WASAPI driver. If an ASIO driver is not available for your soundcard, you can download and install ASIO4ALL, a generic ASIO driver that works with most soundcards. You can download the latest ASIO4ALL driver from their website.
Note: Watch this video to learn how to configure ASIO4ALL for your on-board soundcard.
6. Update the Graphics Card Driver (Windows users only)
The easiest way to check for updates for your graphics card driver is via the manufacturers website. To find the name and model of your graphics card, follow these steps:
- Click the Windows Start button, type in "device manager", then select Device Manager.
- Double click Display adapters in the list to open the drop-down list.
In our example above, we can see that the computer has an Intel HD Graphics 3000 graphics card.
- Navigate to the manufacturer of your graphics card (in our example, it would be Intel).
- From the manufacturer's website, download and install the latest driver for your graphics card.
- Try opening MASCHINE 2 again.
7. Other system-related causes
If the above steps did not solve this issue, we recommend you also go through the additional steps available in the articles linked below: