This article explains how to move a Native Instruments product to another location on your computer. When deciding whether to move an NI product, please consider the following:
- It's not recommended to move your Native Instruments standalone apps after installation, as this can lead to various problems such as failed updates.
- Computers running macOS use dedicated system folders for VST, AU, and AAX plug-ins. You should not move your plug-in files to another location on a Mac, as your DAW will not be able to detect them.
- Windows users have the option to move and consolidate VST plug-in folders. To learn more, see this video.
Please select your version of Native Access and follow the steps to move and re-locate your NI Expansions or Sample Library folders:
Native Access 2 (Dark Version)
Note: Native Access 2 (dark version) is available on macOS 10.14 (and higher) and Windows 10 (and higher). If you are using macOS 10.13 (or lower) or Windows 7 / 8, please read the chapter "Native Access (light version)" below instead.
Native Access 2 is available here.
- Close your DAW and all other Audio / MIDI-related software.
- Move your NI product.
- Start Native Access and click the Refresh icon (upper right).
- Go to Library > All. Find the product and click Repair.
- In the Repair Installation window, click Relocate.
- The Locate window displays the product's last known location. Click the folder symbol.
- Browse to the new location and select the product / product folder.
- The Locate window will show that the library folder was successfully relocated.
- Click Done to close the Locate window and your NI product will now display correctly.
Native Access (Light Version)
Note: This feature is available on OS X 10.10 - 10.13. and Windows 7 (and higher). If you are using macOS 10.14 (or higher) or Windows 10 (or higher), please read the chapter "Native Access 2 (Dark Version)" above. If you are using OS X 10.9, please refer to this article instead.
You can find the legacy installers for Native Access 1 in this article.
- Move your NI product to its new location.
- Launch Native Access.
- Go to the Installed products tab. The product you moved is marked with a yellow REPAIR label.
- Click on REPAIR and select RELOCATE in the drop-down menu.
- In the Relocate window Native Access lists the old location of your NI product and notifies you it is invalid. Click BROWSE next to the product you have moved.
- Browse to your product's new location, select its folder and click Open.
- The Relocate window now lists your product's new location path. Click the RELOCATE button.
- Your installation is now repaired. Your NI product appears as correctly installed in Native Access.