This article provides solutions for issues you may be experiencing with the jog wheel functionality of the TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 / S3 / S4 controllers.
- The playback does not scratch when moving the jog wheel back and forth.
- The Deck playback starts or stops randomly by itself.
- The Deck playback does not stop when pushing down the top plate of the jog wheel.
- The LOAD button next to the jog wheel is blinking.
- The tension of the S4 MK3 jog wheel is too low / too high.
Click to expand the sections below for your TRAKTOR controller.
Solutions for TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 / S4 MK1 and MK2
Apply the following solutions one by one to your TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 / S4 MK1 or MK2 until the issue has been resolved:
1. Adjusting the Jog Wheel Preferences
Go to TRAKTOR Preferences > Traktor S2 / S4 MK1 / MK2. Under Control Options for your specific model, deactivate the option Disable Jog Wheel Push:
2. Jog Wheel Calibration
Please follow the below steps for your specific controller model. The jog wheel plates on the MK1 models are black and plastic, as opposed to the metallic appearance on the MK2 models.
2.1. Jog Wheel Calibration (MK1 Models)
- Make sure your TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 / S2 is powered up and then launch TRAKTOR.
- Go to Preferences > Traktor S2 / S4.
- Next to Jogwheel, press Relicabrate Left / Recalibrate Right and follow the on-screen instructions to recalibrate the corresponding jog wheel. You can find an overview of the recalibration routine in the document downloadable from here.
2.2. Jog Wheel Calibration (MK2 Models)
With the S2 / S4 MK2, you can automatically calibrate the jog wheels by simply holding the corresponding LOAD button for 2 seconds.
3. Fixing / Replacing the Jog Wheel's Top Plate
In some cases, the S2 / S4 jog wheel plate may be loose or it may have come off its base entirely. To reattach a jog wheel plate to its base, follow these steps:
- Make sure that the tabs on the bottom of the jog wheel plate are aligned with the clips on the jog wheel base.
- Push down the plate gently onto the base with one hand while holding the base firmly with the other hand.
- While applying pressure, turn the plate counter-clockwise until you hear a 'click'.
The jog wheel now rests firmly on its base. You can watch this tutorial video which shows how to do this.
Solutions for TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 MK3 / S3 / S4 MK3
Updating the Firmware
Before applying any of the steps below, it is necessary to have the latest firmware update installed on your device. The firmware updater can be found in the S2 MK3, S3 and S4 MK3 sections of our Downloads page.
Adjusting the Jog Wheel Sensitivity of your S2 MK3 / S3
You can adjust the jog wheel sensitivity of your S2 MK3 / S3 as per the following:
- Make sure TRAKTOR is closed.
- On the right deck, press and hold SYNC + KEYLOCK while inserting the USB cable. This initiates the Jog Wheel Sensitivity Adjustment mode.
The Light meter + CUE + FX buttons will show the values of left and right jog wheel sensitivity:
The number 9 corresponds to the highest sensitivity setting. The number 0 (no LEDs lit up) corresponds to the lowest sensitivity setting.
- Turn the BROWSE knob of the corresponding jog wheel to adjust its sensitivity (left BROWSE for left jog wheel, right BROWSE for right jog wheel). The default setting is 6.
- To save the desired sensitivity settings, press the MIC button on the S2 MK3 or press and hold the PLAY button (left or right) on the S3 for 5 seconds.
Adjusting the Jog Wheel Tension of your S4 MK3
- Press and hold the JOG button and turn the Jog Wheel clockwise to raise the tension.
- Press and hold the JOG button and turn the Jog Wheel counterclockwise to loosen the tension.
- Release the JOG button at the desired Jog Wheel tension.
You can also adjust the tension in TRAKTOR's Preferences.