Note: To resolve installation issues in Native Access, please consult the article Using the Repair Function in Native Access.
When installing a TRAKTOR update, the installation fails and an error message is shown.
- If you are installing the update with Service Center, the installation process in the Update area displays Installation failed. Clicking on the red info button 'i' displays the following message:
Update installation failed. The main application or content cannot be found.
Note: If a different message is shown after pressing the info button, please read this article.
- If you are installing the update downloaded directly from the Updates page instead you receive an error message which is different for Mac or Windows. Below we show the error message for the update installation on Mac:
Failure. Cannot proceed with this update, because the application cannot be found in the stored installation directory.
The update installer cannot find the TRAKTOR application because it has been moved or renamed.
To resolve this issue, you must relocate the TRAKTOR main application. Proceed as follows:
Relocating the TRAKTOR Main Application
The TRAKTOR main application is normally found in its default installation path:
- Mac: Macintosh HD > Applications > Native Instruments > Traktor 2 > "Traktor"
- Windows: C: > Program Files > Native Instruments > Traktor 2 > "Traktor"
If the "Traktor" main application file is missing from the "Traktor 2" folder, place it back from its current location into the "Traktor 2" folder. In most cases the update installation will run correctly after relocating the file.
In case that you do not know where the TRAKTOR application is currently located, proceed with the following section:
Obtaining the File Location
Most TRAKTOR users open the application via a shortcut on the Desktop (Mac and Windows) or via an icon in the Dock (Mac).
You can obtain the current location of the TRAKTOR main application by following the steps below:
- If you open TRAKTOR via a shortcut in the Dock (Mac): Click and hold the TRAKTOR icon and then choose Options > Show in Finder. This will open a Finder Window containing the TRAKTOR main application file. Look up the path of this file as explained in step 2 (below).
- If you open TRAKTOR via a shortcut on the Desktop or from within an Explorer (Windows) / Finder (Mac) window: Right-click the TRAKTOR icon and select Get Info (Mac) or Properties (Windows) to open the file's properties window:
In the example below, we find out that the current location of the "Traktor.app" file (Mac) is the folder named "wrongFolder".
Now you can move the TRAKTOR file from this folder in a Finder window (Mac) or Explorer window (Windows) to its default installation folder "Traktor 2" (see the default installation path above).
Note: If you do not have a TRAKTOR shortcut, you can search the TRAKTOR main application file in your filesystem with Spotlight (Mac) / Windows Search (Windows) in order to determine its location. The search is also useful in case you have renamed the "Traktor" file.
If the update cannot be installed after having relocated the TRAKTOR main application file, you need to reset the default path in Service Center, as explained in the next section.
Restoring the Default Installation Path in Service Center
The installation path can be restored in Service Center as follows:
- Open Service Center and go to the Overview tab.
- Click on Show Details next to your TRAKTOR product entry. The detail view of the TRAKTOR entry will display No stand-alone application found.
- Click the Locate button and select the "Traktor 2" folder where the "Traktor" main application is currently located.
After resetting the installation folder, the details for the TRAKTOR entry will show the correct installation path under Versions and you will be able to install the update correctly.
Note: While it is possible to set a path different than the default installation path (see above) via the Locate button, we strongly recommend to keep the TRAKTOR main application file in the default path in order to avoid future installation issues.