MOLEKULAR allows you to precisely quantize all pitch related parameters of active DSPs to scales of your choice. You can program a different scale for up to 8 patterns in the pattern editor. For example, if you assign an LFO to modulate the pitch parameter of an effect unit (such as the one found on the Vokoder) while using pitch quantization, only the tones you selected in the pattern editor will be played. The continuous modulation of the LFO will be quantized to the notes of your scale. In this article we will explain how to modulate the Pitch Quantizer to step through 4 different patterns, each with its own scale. Attached at the bottom of the page you will find a zip file containing the MOLEKULAR preset used as an example in this article.
Important Note: The preset available at the bottom of the page can ONLY be opened in the FULL versions of REAKTOR 5 and MOLEKULAR. It is not possible to load presets in REAKTOR PLAYER of the DEMO version of MOLEKULAR. To open the preset go to the REAKTOR 5 menu and select File > Open Preset. Then navigate to the respective file (with the suffix .nrkt) on your hard drive and click CHOOSE.
Programming the Pitch Quantizer
- Load the DSP effect named Vokoder into Slot 1.
- Select the tuning fork icon located at the right of MOLEKULAR's interface to open the Pitch Quantization page.
- Click the first box next to Pattern to activate Pitch Quantization for DSP 1.
- To open the Pitch Quantization pattern editor, click the visual representation of a pattern or the arrow icon next to it. The pattern editor will open at the center of the interface.
- Select the first of the eight patterns for editing by clicking the corresponding button.
- In Pattern 1, create a custom scale by clicking the virtual keys with your mouse. The pitch-related parameters of the Vokoder will be quantized to the notes of this scale.
- Program different scales for the next 3 patterns in the pattern editor. In the screenshots below, we have programmed custom scales for patterns 2, 3 and 4.
- Pattern 2:
- Pattern 3:
- Pattern 4:
- Pattern 2:
Programming the Step Sequencer
- In the modulation source section of MOLEKULAR, click the tab named Step (a step sequencer) followed by 1 (the first of 4 available step sequencers).
- Set the Tempo of each individual step in Step 1 to 2 bars. This means a new step will be triggered every 2 bars. The tempo is always synced to host tempo.
- Set the Length of the Step 1 to a value of 4. This means the step sequencer will have a total of 4 steps.
- Leave the first step blank (0). This value will trigger the first pattern in the Pitch Quantizer.
- Next, program steps 2-4 by clicking and dragging with your mouse in the step sequencer. Program these steps so that they have ascending values going from left to right. When your host is in play mode your Step Sequencer will step through the 4 steps as shown in the image below. The goal is to have the first step trigger Pattern 1 in the Pitch Quantizer, the second step Pattern 2, the third step Pattern 3 and the fourth Step Pattern 4.
Playing through the Patterns in the Pitch Quantizer
Now all you need to do is modulate the Pitch Quantizer using Step 1 to skip through the four patterns containing your custom scales.
- Click Assign in the modulation source Section while Step 1 is selected.
A slider will appear next to the Pitch Quantizer.
- Click and drag your mouse to the right in the slider. This means each pattern will be triggered going from left to right (Pattern 1 to 4 and then back to the beginning).
- Press play in your host sequencer. Each pattern containing the notes of your custom scale will play starting from the first selected pattern (highlighted in a black square) from left to right.