This article explains how to insert Native Instruments plug-ins in FL Studio 12, including:
- Inserting an instrument plug-in (e.g. MASSIVE, KONTAKT, etc.) in a plug-in channel.
- Inserting an effect plug-in (e.g. GUITAR RIG 5, SUPERCHARGER, etc.) in an effect insert slot and routing an audio signal to the corresponding Mixer insert track.
Note: some NI products can be inserted both as instrument or effect plug-in (e.g. ABSYNTH 5 / ABSYNTH 5 FX, etc.).
Note: If you are using FL Studio 11 (or earlier), read this article.
Inserting a NI Instrument Plug-in
- Click the Plug-in database symbol in the FL Studio Browser.
- In the Browser, navigate to Plug-in database > Installed > Generators > VST. Here you will find a list of all your installed VST plug-ins, including your NI plug-ins.
Note: if you cannot find your NI plug-ins here, read this article to learn how to manage your plug-ins in FL Studio 12.
- Right-click on the plug-in you want to use and select Open in new channel in the context menu. In the example below, we want to load Massive.
- Massive is now loaded in the FL Studio Channel rack. Its audio output is automatically routed to FL Studio's master output. To display or hide the plug-in's window, click once on the NI plug-in's name in the Channel rack.
Inserting a NI Effect Plug-in
Effect plug-ins must be loaded in an mixer insert track. You can then send the Channel where your NI plug-in is loaded to these insert tracks. In this example, we will load an insert effect into the first insert slot of a Mixer insert track, then route the signal of the plug-in we have loaded before to this Mixer insert track.
- Show the FL Studio mixer by pressing the F9 key on your computer's keyboard.
- Select the Insert mixer track you want to load your effect to by clicking it. Here we select the Insert 1 channel. When selected the insert channel will be highlighted in green.
- On the right-hand side of the Mixer, you will find the Insert Slots to where you will load your effect plug-in. If the Insert Slots are not visible, press 'Ctrl + Enter' on your keyboard.
- In the FL Studio Browser, navigate to Plugin database > Installed > Effects > VST. Here you will find a list of all your installed VST effects, including your NI Effects.
- Drag and drop the effect plug-in to a free insert slot. In the example below, we want to load Driver to Slot 1.
- In the Channel rack, select the insert slot you want to send your channel to by clicking the Mixer Track Routing button, holding the mouse button pressed and dragging it up or down. In our example, we choose to send Massive to the first insert track.
- The audio signal sent by MASSIVE is now processed by the first Insert mixer track where DRIVER is loaded. The Insert mixer track is in its turn is routed to FL Studio's master output. You can use the FX wet mix button right of the plug-in's name to control the amount of effect processing the signal.