When using multiple instruments loaded in KONTAKT 5, you may want to route them to separate channels in FL Studio, for example if you wish to use different insert / send effects or apply FL Studio's volume and panorama controls to each instrument individually. Follow the below instructions to configure KONTAKT 5 and FL Studio for multi-output use:
- Load KONTAKT 5 as a multi output plug-in instance in FL Studio. In this example, Kontakt 5 16out has been selected, which means 16 separate KONTAKT output channels (8 Stereo Channels) are available.
- Once KONTAKT is open, tick Outputs in Kontakt's Workspace menu to make the outputs area visible at the bottom of KONTAKT's interface.
- Add or delete mixer channels in this area by clicking on the '+' or the '-' buttons within the mixer. At the bottom of each channel a button represents the current KONTAKT output channel assignments. Click on this button to open KONTAKT's channel output configuration window and configure the signal path destination for each channel.
- Specify which physical out each KONTAKT channel should correspond to within FL Studio. In this example, the first channel, named st. 1 (a stereo channel), is assigned to plugin out #1 (left channel) and plugin out #2 (right channel). The second channel, st. 2, is assigned to plugin out #3 (left channel) and plugin out #4 (right channel). Continue this process for the remaining mixer channels in KONTAKT depending on what you need.
Note: In FL Studio, the physical outputs are displayed as plugin out #1, plugin out #2 and so on. This name will vary depending on which sequencer you are using.
- After configuration is complete, click on the save output section preset as dialogue within the Presets / Batch Configuration drop-down menu to save your new KONTAKT mixer output configuration as a preset file.
- Set your newly created output section preset as the default output state for the VST Plugin (16 out) version of KONTAKT.
- Load some instruments into KONTAKT 5. The Output menu of each instrument is set to the first available KONTAKT output channel: st. 1 by default. You can change the Output setting of the instruments by clicking in this area. A drop-down menu will appear allowing you to set a different output channel, eg. st. 2, st. 3, st. 4 and so on.
- Repeat the above step for the other KONTAKT 5 instruments in your rack you wish to send to separate outputs.
- Open the Wrapper Settings for the KONTAKT 5 plug-in.
- In the Connections tab, individual outputs from the KONTAKT 5 plug-in can be sent to different channel strips in the Mixer.
Now when you play an Instrument in KONTAKT 5, it will be played back through the mixer channel strip the KONTAKT output is assigned to.