This article explains how to configure two Pioneer DJ devices for Advanced HID control. This setup is supported for the following Pioneer models:
- CDJ-900 Nexus
- CDJ-2000 Nexus
- CDJ-2000 Nexus 2*
- XDJ-1000 MK1
*Note: The CDJ-2000 Nexus 2 and CDJ-TOUR 1 feature colored waveform display in Advanced HID Mode. In contrast, the colored waveform display in other models (e.g. XDJ-1000) is only possible in LINK Export Mode via Rekordbox software and is not supported in TRAKTOR.
Make sure that you have installed the latest TRAKTOR version. You can download and install the latest version via Native Access.
Make sure the latest firmware version is installed on your device. You will find the latest firmware for download in the corresponding product page on the Pioneer website.
- Mac: The Pioneer devices are class-compliant and do not require a driver installation.
- Windows: Download and install the latest driver for your Pioneer device from the corresponding product page in the Pioneer website.
Note: If your are not using a dedicated audio interface with TRAKTOR (e.g. TRAKTOR AUDIO 6), you can configure two Pioneer devices to act as audio interface in TRAKTOR. Read this article to learn how to configure TRAKTOR for two soundcards. Alternatively you can use an Aggregate Device (OS X) or the ASIO4ALL Driver (Windows).
Establishing the Advanced HID Connection
First connect a standard USB cable to the USB connector at the back of the Pioneer device and plug it into a free USB port on your system. Then make sure the device has been switched on and start TRAKTOR.
Enabling Advanced HID
Depending on your model, the Pioneer device may be configured initially to work in normal and not Advanced HID mode. In order to activate Advanced HID, go to the UTILITY settings on your CDJ by pressing and holding the MENU button (located at the upper edge of the device). Set the HID SETTING to ADVANCED as shown in the screenshot below:
Then exit the UTILITY settings by pressing MENU again. You are now ready to establish the connection to TRAKTOR.
Linking your Device to TRAKTOR
- Hit the LINK button on the device located on the upper left area next to the display (CDJ) or on the left side of the touchscreen (XDJ).
- Push down the encoder (turning knob, right of the display) as indicated by the message PUSH TO CONNECT in to activate the USB MIDI control mode.
- A screen showing the TRAKTOR symbol will come up, indicating that the software has been detected. Turn the encoder to enter the TRAKTOR Deck selection.
- Choose one of TRAKTOR's four Decks to be controlled from your device by highlighting it. Push down the encoder to confirm your selection.
Your Pioneer device is now controlling the TRAKTOR Deck in Advanced HID mode, including access to the Track Collection, Hotcues, Loops, Needle Search and more. You will also find an overview of the functions of your Pioneer device in the corresponding PDF article located here:
- OS X: Macintosh HD > Applications > Native Instruments > Traktor 2 > Documentation > Controller Mappings > Pioneer > "*Device name*.pdf"
- Windows: C: > Program Files > Native Instruments > Traktor 2 > Documentation > Controller Mappings > Pioneer > "*Device name*.pdf"