This article explains how to transfer your TRAKTOR Collection, Playlists, and settings from one computer to another. This procedure works across any platform (e.g. macOS to macOS, macOS to Windows, etc.).
Note: You can view the transfer process in greater detail in our corresponding tutorial video.
Copying your Music Files, TRAKTOR Root Directory, and TRAKTOR Content Folder
First, you need to copy your music files and your TRAKTOR data (Root Directory and TRAKTOR content folders) to an external hard drive or USB flash drive.
Copying your Music Files
- Create an empty folder for your music files on your external hard drive and name it accordingly. In our example, we name it "Music".
- Copy all your music files to this folder. If you manage your music files in different folders, you can copy all of these folders and paste them into "Music".
Copying your Root Directory
The TRAKTOR Root Directory holds all your Settings and Collection data. It is located in the directory which has been set in the under File Management > Directories > Root Dir in the TRAKTOR Preferences.
The default location for this folder (on macOS and Windows) is:
- ... > Users > *User Name* > Documents > Native Instruments > Traktor x.x.x
Note: TRAKTOR creates a new Root Directory with every update. The Root Directory folder name always carries the version number of the update it has been created with. This means that you can access your Settings and Collection from previous updates by choosing the Backup files from the Root Directory of the respective version. If you have been using the latest version, make sure to back the most recent Root Directory up for the transfer to your new computer.
Once you have located your Root Directory, copy it to the external hard drive. In our example, we are copying the Root Directory folder "Traktor 3.5.3"
Copying your TRAKTOR Content Folders
The TRAKTOR content folders automatically store all the content you have created using TRAKTOR, such as your Samples, Recordings, and Remix Sets. They are located in the following directories found in the TRAKTOR Preferences:
- Samples: Preferences > File Management > Directories > Sample Dir
- Recordings: Preferences > Mix Recorder > Directory
- Remix Sets: Preferences > File Management > Directories > Remix Sets Dir
The default hard drive location (on macOS and Windows) for these folders is:
- Samples: ... > Users > *User Name* > Music > Traktor > Samples
- Recordings: ... > Users > *User Name* > Music > Traktor > Recordings
- Remix Sets: ... > Users > *User Name* > Music > Traktor > ContentImport
Note: If these folders are empty, you may not have generated this content at all or the folders may be found under a different path, as set in the TRAKTOR Preferences.
- Create an empty folder for your TRAKTOR content in your external hard drive and name it accordingly. You can name this folder "Traktor Content", for example.
- Copy all three folders (Samples, Recordings, and ContentImport) into the Traktor Content folder.
Now, you have copied all your music files and your TRAKTOR user data (Root Directory) as well as your TRAKTOR user content (Samples, Recordings, and ContentImport) onto your external hard drive.
Transferring your Music Files and TRAKTOR Data Onto Another Computer
- Check Native Access for the latest version of TRAKTOR on your new computer.
- Open TRAKTOR, and navigate to the Preferences > File Management tab to make sure that the option Import Music-Folders at Startup is disabled. Then, close TRAKTOR.
- Connect the external hard drive or USB flash drive with the backup files to your new computer.
- Copy all your music files (the previously created "Music" folder, in our example) to the desired location on your new computer.
- Copy all three TRAKTOR content folders (Samples, Recordings, and ContentImport) onto the same location on your new computer.
The default location (on macOS and Windows) will be:
... > Users > *User Name* > Music > Traktor.
All three folders will already exist in this location and they will need to be replaced. When copying the folders, confirm that you wish to Replace them when the operating system prompts the question.
- If the location of your Music files is different than the one previously configured, launch TRAKTOR and add the folder containing your music files to the File Management > Music Folders section by clicking the Add button, as shown below.
Note: If you intend on moving your music files to the same file path as the one set on your previous computer, skip this step and proceed with the steps below.
Importing your Collection
- Start TRAKTOR again on your new computer.
- Right-click on Collection in the TRAKTOR browser and select Import another Collection from the context menu.
- Browse to the backup Root Directory on your external hard drive and select the file "collection.nml".
- After selecting "collection.nml", a window will pop up, asking you if you wish to import File tags or Collection tags.
Note: Choosing Collection will load and apply the tag data contained in the collection (title, artist, album, etc.) to all of your tracks. This is the right choice in order to restore the collection from the other computer, including the tag data in your music files.
Relocating your Tracks
The Collection includes references to the location of all your tracks on the hard drive. If the file paths of your tracks on the new computer differ from the original system, TRAKTOR will not be able to locate them.
- To resolve this, right-click Track Collection in the Browser tree and choose Check Consistency.
- The Consistency Check will show you the Consistency Check Report when finished. Go to the Missing Tracks tab and hit Relocate.
- Navigate to the location on the hard drive where you copied all your music files.
- Select the drive or folder that contains your tracks and hit Choose. TRAKTOR will now automatically correct the file path references in the Collection.
- Repeat this process to make sure that all the files contained in your collection have been found.
Note: You may additionally need to relocate the contents of your "Traktor content" folder if the paths from your old computer do not match the ones on the new computer. In this case, proceed with Relocate for each of the three folders Samples, Recordings, and ContentImport.
Importing your TRAKTOR Settings
- Open the TRAKTOR Preferences.
- Click the Import button at the bottom of the Preferences window.
- Browse to the Root Directory backup you saved on your external hard drive and select the file "Traktor Settings.tsi".
- Make sure that the box File Load- And Write- Paths is not selected while importing the settings.
Note: If you use a different audio device on the new computer, you should also uncheck Audio Device Settings while importing the settings.