Note: the Presets functionality described in this article requires REAKTOR 6.0.3.
REAKTOR 6.0.3 introduces a new convenient way to save your Presets in Play mode (as opposed to Edit mode). Previously, in order to save a particular state of a REAKTOR Ensemble, you had to save a Snapshot in Edit mode and save your Ensemble file containing your own Snapshots. Presets can be saved without entering Edit mode and without the need to save the Ensemble file. They will be saved as separate files on your disks, while still being related to your Ensemble. You can now manage Presets directly from REAKTOR's new Preset Browser. Additionally the Presets will also be available in the Browser of KOMPLETE KONTROL and MASCHINE 2.
Creating a Preset
To create a Preset, follow these steps:
- Load an Ensemble in REAKTOR and tweak its parameters until you reach a state you want to save.
- Click the Preset Browser Tab and select the User icon.
Important note: The Preset functionality is only available for the Snapshot Master. If you do not see a User icon in the Preset Browser, you must select the Snapshot Master first. You can do this in the Select Instruments drop-down menu, which is available from the small triangle button in the top right corner of the Preset Browser. In this example, we set the focus to Ens - Razor Ensemble. Note the Preset Browser icon in front of it indicates that this is the Snapshot Master:
- Press the Add button at the bottom of the Browser to create a Preset. A new Preset will be created in the Preset Browser named after the last Snapshot which was loaded in the Ensemble. You can now rename the Preset. Press the Add button once more (or alternatively, press the Return key on your computer's keyboard) to save your Preset. Use the Store button to overwrite an existing Preset. In our example we named the Preset RazorPreset1:
To load a Preset you have saved, first load the Preset's corresponding Ensemble. In our example this is the RAZOR Ensemble. Then click the Preset in the User section of the Preset Browser, e.g. RazorPreset1.
Where are the Presets stored?
Unlike Snapshots, which are stored in the Ensemble file itself, Presets are saved as separate files in the User Content folder. The User Content folder is located here:
- OS X: Mac HD > Users > *Username* > Documents > Native Instruments > User Content
- Windows: C > Users > *Username* > Documents > Native Instruments > User Content
You can also right-click on a Preset and choose Show in Folder in order to navigate to the Preset location on your hard drive:
Location of Presets for a REAKTOR Factory Library Ensemble
If you have created a Preset for a Factory Library Ensemble the Preset will be stored in a sub-folder called 'Reaktor' and there into another folder named after the Factory Ensemble, e.g. 'Junatik':
Location of Presets for a Powered by REAKTOR Ensemble
If you have created a Preset for a Powered by REAKTOR product, such as RAZOR, ROUNDS, KONTOUR, etc. it will be stored in a sub-folder named after the corresponding product:
Location of Presets for User-Created Ensembles
Similar to the REAKTOR Factory Ensembles and the Powerd by REAKTOR Ensembles, you can add a Preset Folder path for your own Ensemble creations or for any Ensembles from the REAKTOR User Library. The User Content folder structure always reflects the Bank Path structure in the Ensemble's Properties.
To view and edit the Bank Path of your own or user-created Ensemble, follow these steps:
- Enter EDIT mode.
- Make sure that the Ensemble is selected, by clicking on its header or into the panel background.
- Go to the Properties Tab and scroll down to the BANK PATH section. Here you can see the Product, Bank and Sub-Bank name. We chose My Own Ensembles as the Bank name and My Own Synth as the Sub-Bank name:
Important note: If you do not edit the Bank Path of a new Ensemble, its Presets will be stored in a folder called 'New', which is the default Bank name for a new Ensemble.
Using the Preset within KOMPLETE KONTROL or MASCHINE
In order to see the Preset you have saved in MASCHINE or KOMPLETE KONTROL you must tag it in REAKTOR as an Instrument, Effect or both. To do so, follow these steps:
- In REAKTOR, load a Preset you have created.
- Right-click on the Snapshot's name corresponding to the preset you have loaded. In this example, we tag the Synth1 Snapshot as Instrument.
- DO NOT FORGET to overwrite the Preset, using the Store button, otherwise the changes will not be saved. A little star '*' icon next to the Snapshot's name indicates changes were made without having been saved.
In MASCHINE or KOMPLETE KONTROL Browsers, the Presets will show up under User > Reaktor > Bank > Subbank, corresponding to the location in the User content folder structure. Since the Preset was made for an Ensemble that we created on our own and we changed its Bank Path, it shows up in REAKTOR > My Own Ensembles (Bank) > My Own Synth (Sub-Bank) > Synth1.
Note: Presets, as opposed to Snapshots do not have the 'Morph + Random' functionality and cannot be recalled by MIDI via Bank and Program Change Messages.