This article describes how to set up the following legacy MASCHINE devices as MIDI controllers for TRAKTOR PRO 2:
- MASCHINE MK1
- MASCHINE MIKRO MK1
- MASCHINE MK2
- MASCHINE MIKRO MK2
Note: There are no templates for newer MASCHINE controllers. It may be possible to search for custom templates online. You could also create a template by following this post from our blog.
Click to expand the sections below to configure your MASCHINE controller for the TRAKTOR MIDI template.
Setting Up the TRAKTOR Template in Controller Editor
- Launch the Controller Editor application:
- macOS: Macintosh HD > Applications > Native Instruments > Controller Editor > Controller Editor.app
- Windows: C: > Program Files > Native Instruments > Controller Editor > Controller Editor.exe
Note: If you encounter any issues finding or launching Controller Editor, you can download the latest version for your operating system here.
- Make sure your MASCHINE controller is active. It will be recognized by Controller Editor if Connect is highlighted.
Note: In this example, MASCHINE MK2 is used. Choose the first entry for your controller model here.
- In the Templates menu on the right side of the Controller Editor window, click on Factory Templates and then select Traktor Pro from the drop-down menu (this template is also valid for TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO).
- Traktor Pro will be added to the list of available Templates. It can now be selected and loaded from within the MASCHINE hardware.
- Make sure that MASCHINE is currently set to MIDI Mode. Switch to MIDI mode by pressing SHIFT + CONTROL on the hardware.
Note: See this article for instructions to switch your MASCHINE controller to MIDI mode.
- On a MASCHINE (MK1 & MK2) controller in MIDI mode, the left display will indicate the name of the current TEMPLATE. Press and hold SHIFT and use the Left / Right arrow buttons (< / >) to scroll the templates and choose the one for TRAKTOR PRO.
Note: On a MASCHINE MIKRO (MK1 & MK2) controller, hold the NAV button and press F1 to select TEMPL. Use the push encoder to select the TRAKTOR PRO template.
Now you're all set to configure your MASCHINE controller in TRAKTOR. Please proceed to the next chapter below.
Setting Up MASCHINE as Controller in TRAKTOR
- Make sure that the MASCHINE controller is connected to the system, then launch TRAKTOR.
- Select Start Setup Wizard from the Help menu.
- Here, you're asked if you are using a different (i.e. non-TRAKTOR) device. Select Yes from the drop-down menu, then click Next.
- In this section, choose the manufacturer (Native Instruments) and the MASCHINE controller model being used. In this example, Maschine Track Decks is selected.
- Follow the remaining steps of the Setup Wizard and click Finish.
- Open the TRAKTOR Preferences > Controller Manager > Device, and select the Generic MIDI entry associated with your MASCHINE controller. Make sure that the Maschine Controller Virtual port is selected in both the In-Port and Out-Port fields.
- Close the TRAKTOR Preferences.
Now you're ready to use the MASCHINE template to control TRAKTOR. Load up some tracks and refer to the PDF guide outlining all TRAKTOR controller assignments for MASCHINE. You can access the PDF at this location of your computer:
- macOS: Macintosh HD > Applications > Native Instruments > Traktor 2 > Documentation > Controller Mappings > Native Instruments > Native Instruments - Maschine.pdf
- Windows: C: > Program Files > Native Instruments > Traktor 2 > Documentation > Controller Mappings > Native Instruments > Native Instruments - Maschine.pdf
To create, or modify your own templates, please refer to the Controller Editor documentation.