This article describes how to set up MASCHINE as a MIDI controller in TRAKTOR.
Setting up the TRAKTOR Template in Controller Editor
- Launch the Controller Editor application:
- Mac: Macintosh HD > Applications > Native Instruments > Controller Editor > "Controller Editor"
- Windows: C: > Program Files > Native Instruments > Controller Editor > "Controller Editor.exe"
Note: If you encounter any issues finding or launching Controller Editor, you can download the latest version for your operating system here.
- In the Templates menu on the right side of the Controller Editor window, click on Factory Templates and then select Traktor Pro from the drop-down menu (this template is also valid for TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO versions).
- Afterwards the Traktor Pro template will be added to the the Templates list. It can now be selected and loaded from within the MASCHINE hardware.
- Make sure that MASCHINE is currently set to MIDI Mode. In MIDI Mode, the left display will indicate the name of the current TEMPLATE. Switch to MIDI mode by pressing SHIFT + CONTROL on the hardware.
- Now use the SHIFT + < / > (arrows) button combination in order to switch between templates. When the left display shows TEMPLATE: *template number* - TRAKTOR PRO, you are ready to setup the MASCHINE controller in TRAKTOR.
Setting up MASCHINE as Controller in TRAKTOR
- Make sure that the MASCHINE controller is connected to the system, then launch TRAKTOR.
- Select Start Setup Wizard from the Help menu to launch the Setup Wizard.
- In the HARDWARE CONTROLLER SETUP page, select Yes from the drop-down menu for Are you using an external controller ? and then click Next.
- In the HARDWARE CONTROLLER SELECTION page, choose Native Instruments as manufacturer.
- Next, click the Choose your model field. In the drop-down menu, select your Maschine hardware model, and choose if you want to control the TRAKTOR Track Decks or Remix Decks. Once selected, click on Next to proceed.
- Follow the subsequent steps of the Setup Wizard until you click Finish.Now you can begin to work directly with the user interface.
- Open the TRAKTOR Preferences > Controller Manager menu.
- Select the Generic MIDI mapping (which is the MASCHINE mapping) from the Device field. Make sure that the Maschine Controller... port is selected in both the In-Port and Out-Port fields.
- Close the TRAKTOR Preferences. Now you are ready to use MASCHINE to control TRAKTOR.
Using the Template
Within the Controller Editor software you can view which TRAKTOR parameters have been pre-assigned in the template. In the image below, the lower row of the MASCHINE pads displays that these four pads are controlling Start and Sync for Deck A and Deck B correspondingly. Since we have pressed Pad #3 on the hardware controller, it appears in red selection. In the TRAKTOR software, this means that the Play command has been triggered for Deck B (so the track loaded in Deck B is now playing).
Alternatively, you can find a PDF showing all of the default assignments in TRAKTOR's documentation folder:
- Mac: Macintosh HD > Applications > Native Instruments> Traktor 2 > Documentation > Controller Mappings > Native Instruments > "Native Instruments - Maschine.pdf"
- PC: C: > Program Files > Native Instruments> Traktor 2 > Documentation > Controller Mappings > Native Instruments > "Native Instruments - Maschine.pdf"
You can always create, modify or customize your own templates and MIDI assignments with the Controller Editor. Please consult your Controller Editor documentation for further information.