The TRAKTOR software does not recognize an NI TRAKTOR controller; i.e. the MIDI indicator does not light up when moving a button, fader, or knob.
1. Check for Software Updates
This is important because the TRAKTOR software is updated along with the release of a new TRAKTOR controller. If your TRAKTOR software predates the hardware controller, the device may not be recognized or function as expected.
2. Check for New Driver / Firmware
Go to the NI Support Downloads page and scroll to find your TRAKTOR device.
Note: This page applies to NI devices only. If using a third-party "TRAKTOR Ready" device, please check the manufacturer's website for downloads.
Some devices are class-compliant and do not require a driver to be installed.
Download the Firmware / Device Updater and latest driver for your controller. Please follow the steps in chapter 2 of this article for detailed instructions.
This example shows all of the downloadable files available for the TRAKTOR S4 MK3.
3. Restore the Controller's Default Settings
- Disconnect the controller.
- Start TRAKTOR and go to Preferences.
- Select the name of your TRAKTOR controller and click the option to Restore Default.
Note: For TRAKTOR KONTROL X1 MK2, go to Preferences > Controller Manager > Device and select the Traktor.Kontrol X1 MK2.Default. Select Delete from the Edit menu, then reconnect the X1 MK2.
- Confirm that you want to reset your controller by clicking Yes.
- Reconnect your controller. TRAKTOR will automatically detect the controller and load its default mapping.
4. Check USB Connection
Follow these steps to test the USB connection.
- If connecting to an external USB hub, try removing the hub and connecting your TRAKTOR controller directly to the computer.
- Try connecting the TRAKTOR controller to each available USB port on the computer.
- Try using different USB cables with your TRAKTOR controller. See this article for more information about USB cable types.
5. Reinstall the Latest Controller Editor
The Controller Editor software installs the NIHardwareAgent and is necessary for all NI hardware devices. Please see this article for more info about Controller Editor.
- Disconnect the TRAKTOR controller.
- Download and install the latest version of Controller Editor from here. To learn more about reinstalling Controller Editor, see this article.
Please see this article if your TRAKTOR controller is still not recognized.