This article explains how to record your system output without using an external sound card. This allows you to directly sample from internal sources, as e.g. iTunes or Youtube, for example. Please note that the sampling of third party content (e.g. recordings) may infringe third party rights, especially copyrights in the master recording and / or the underlying composition. Before using such material, please secure that you are not infringing any such rights.
This requires the free third-party audio routing software Soundflower. This software is not manufactured or supported by Native Instruments and we cannot guarantee for its functionality and safety.
Important Note: With Soundflower you can potentially create audio feedback loops. We recommend to keep your speakers' volume level very low during the configuration process.
Installing Soundflower and Routing the System Output
- Download and install the latest version of Soundflower. You can find it here.
- Once installed, select Soundflower (2ch) as your sound output device in the Mac OS X System Preferences. Your system's audio output is now routed to Soundflower, which includes applications like iTunes or any internet browser. Note that Soundflower is not yet connected to your computer's audio output.
- Start the "Soundflowerbed" application from your Applications folder:
- The Soundflowerbed icon will show up in the Mac OS X menu bar. Click the icon to open the drop-down menu and select the audio interface you want to use for your audio output. In our example, we select Built-in Output. Your system audio is now routed to your computer's audio output via Soundflower.
Setting up the Audio Routing in MASCHINE 2
- Start MASCHINE 2.
- Go to Preferences > Audio.
- In the Audio tab's Device section, select Soundflower (2ch). In the Routings > Input Inputs section, connect MASCHINE In 1 L and MASCHINE In 1 R to Soundflower (2ch) L and Soundflower (2ch) R respectively.
- Under Routings > Output, make sure MASCHINE Out 1 L and MASCHINE Out 1 R are connected to Soundflower (2ch) L and Soundflower (2ch) R respectively.
Setting up the Record Page in Sampling Mode
- Enter Sampling Mode either by pressing the SAMPLING button on your MASCHINE controller or by pressing the waveform icon next to the Sound Slot you wish to use for sampling. Make sure you are in the Record page.
- In the RECORDING section, make sure you have set the recording SOURCE to Ext. Ster. and the INPUT to In 1. If everything is set up correctly, you can now see an incoming signal in the horizontal record meter.
- Press Start to start recording.
Note: If the recording doesn't start and MASCHINE shows Waiting for next bar..., you have to press play to start recording. For more information on the different recording modes, please refer to the operation manual (Chapter 14.2.2, Selecting the Source and the Recording Mode).
You are now recording all audio routed through the system output, including iTunes, Spotify as well as web media from e.g. Youtube or Vimeo.