This article presents the best practice if you want to share the KOMPLETE content between several computers using an external hard drive
. We recommend to install only the KONTAKT Libraries included in the KOMPLETE bundle to an external drive and to install the rest of the content (REAKTOR, GUITAR RIG, BATTERY) on your computers' internal drives. The KONTAKT Libraries included in the KOMPLETE bundle represent the largest part of the KOMPLETE content in terms of disk space and are easy to share between computers. You are free to install the rest of the KOMPLETE content to your external hard drive but you will eventually have difficulties when trying to update your NI products. To achieve this setup you will need to run the KOMPLETE installer twice on the first system. The first time to install the applications and the KOMPLETE content for REAKTOR, GUITAR RIG, BATTERY on your system drive. A second time to install the KONTAKT content to the external hard drive. On the second system, you will need to install the applications and the KOMPLETE content for REAKTOR, GUITAR RIG, BATTERY on your system drive once more. There is no need to install the KONTAKT Libraries again, since these will be already installed on the external drive. You will simply have to add them to the KONTAKT's Browser on your second system.
Note: The procedure is explained for two different computers but it can apply to as many systems as you want.
1. Installation on the First Computer
- Run the KOMPLETE installer and install everything on your internal drive except for the KONTAKT Libraries. Please consult our video or article linked in the Related Articles section of this article to learn how to deselect individual products in the KOMPLETE installer.
Important note: If you are using the KOMPLETE 10 (ULTIMATE) Downloader to install KOMPLETE on your system, please read this article to know exactly which content products listed in Content window of the Downloader are KONTAKT Libraries.
- Once the installer states the installation has been successful, run the KOMPLETE installer once more but this time select only the KONTAKT Libraries by unticking all other components
. As destination folder, set the directory on your external hard drive where you want to install the KONTAKT sample libraries to. Please consult our videos or articles linked in the Related Articles section to learn how to install KOMPLETE content on an external hard drive.
- Once you have successfully installed the KONTAKT Libraries to your external hard drive, open Service Center and activate your KOMPLETE bundle.
2. Installation on the Second Computer
For the installation on the second computer, choose your installation method:
- If you are using Native Access to install KOMPLETE, follow the instructions from this article.
- If you are installing KOMPLETE from disc, follow these steps:
Repeat the procedure described above to install KOMPLETE on your second system. This time, do not install the KONTAKT Libraries on your external hard drive. Make sure to deselect them when running the installer on the second system. Once the installation on the second system has been successful, start KONTAKT 5 in stand-alone mode, and add the KONTAKT Libraries one by one to KONTAKT's Browser. Please consult our videos or articles linked in the Related Articles section of this article to learn how to add KONTAKT Libraries to KONTAKT's Browser. Make sure to start Native Access after adding all the Libraries in KONTAKT, to install all available updates.
Once the steps above have been followed, both computers will recognize the KONTAKT Libraries installed on the external hard drive.
Important note for Windows users: make sure the external drive always gets the same letter assigned in Windows, if not KONTAKT will not find its corresponding Libraries.