This article explains how to insert Native Instruments plug-ins in GarageBand, including:
- Inserting instrument plug-ins (e.g. MASSIVE, KONTAKT, etc.) in a Software Instrument track.
- Inserting effect plug-ins (e.g. GUITAR RIG 5, SUPERCHARGER, etc.) in an Audio FX slot.
Note: some NI products can be inserted both as instrument or effect plug-in (e.g. ABSYNTH 5 / ABSYNTH 5 FX, etc.).
Inserting a NI Instrument Plug-in
- Create a new track in GarageBand by selecting: Track > New Track... from the Menu bar.
- In the New Track... dialog, select Software Instrument and click Create.
- By default, GarageBand will load a Classic Electric Piano from its internal sound library. Press the Smart Controls button to view the Smart Controls pane in the lower part of the GarageBand window. Pressing the B key on your computer's keyboard will also display the Smart Controls pane.
- In the upper-right corner of the Smart Controls pane, press the Inspector button once to show the Inspector.
- In the Audio Units section of the Inspector, click the Instrument slot once.
- Browse through the Audio Units Instrument menu to the Native Instruments instrument plug-in you wish to load. In our example, we choose to load a Stereo instance of Massive.
- If you get a warning message, press the Lower Security Settings button to proceed.
- MASSIVE is now loaded in GarageBand and its window is open for editing. If you do not see the MASSIVE plug-in window, click on the Instrument slot named after Massive in the Inspector once.
You can now play the plug-in's sounds now via a MIDI keyboard or record MIDI data on the Software Instrument track in the Arrange window for playback.
Loading a NI Effect Plug-in
- When hovering your mouse over the Audio FX area in the Inspector of a software instrument or track, you will see four greyed Audio FX slots appear. To add an Audio Units effect plug-in, click one of the empty Audio FX slots. In our example, we are using the software instrument track where we have previously loaded MASSIVE.
- Browse through the Audio FX menu to the NI effect plug-in you wish to load. In our example, we choose to load Guitar Rig 5 FX.
- GUITAR RIG 5 FX is now loaded in GarageBand and its window is open for editing. If the GUITAR RIG 5 FX plug-in window is not displayed, click on the Audio FX slot named Guitar Rig in the Inspector once.
The GUITAR RIG 5 effect plug-in is now loaded in an Audio FX slot and will affect the output signal of the Audio or Software Instrument track.