This article explains how to set up your Native Instruments audio interface as the standard audio output device for your computer.
Defining your Audio Interface as System Output
- Make sure your Native Instruments audio interface is connected and recognized.
- Click on the Apple symbol on the top left corner of your computer screen and choose System Preferences.
- Open the Sound menu and select the Output tab.
- Select the entry with the name of your audio interface in the Select a device for sound output menu box. In the example below, we are defining the Traktor Audio 10, which is currently connected to the system.
Now your Mac operating system will output its system audio via a default stereo output channel of your NI audio interface.
Note: When you select an audio device other than Built-in in the Output tab, the volume bar on the top menu of your Mac is greyed-out and you cannot adjust the volume with the volume keys on your computer keyboard (F11 and F12), as indicated by the message The selected device has no output controls.
You can route specific output channels of your audio interface to stream the system audio signal, as explained below.
- Open a Finder window and go to Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup
- Make sure the Audio window is enabled by selecting Window > Show Audio Devices (OS X 10.9 or lower: Window > Show Audio Window) from the menu bar.
- In the Audio Devices menu, select the name of your soundcard on the left column and then click on the Output tab. Finally, click on Configure Speakers...
In the speaker setup menu you can route the system audio output to an individual channel pair (left and right) of your NI audio interface. The configuration menu will vary depending on the model of your audio interface.
Defining the Output Channel
- Click on the drop-down field below Left front and Right front to select the left and right output channels for your system output. In the below example, we are selecting Main Left and Main Right for the TRAKTOR AUDIO 10 audio interface.
- Click Apply and then Done to save the output routing configuration.
Headphone Output Routing
The list below shows the channels used by the headphone output of each NI audio interface. Select these channels in Configure Speakers... as described above in order to monitor your audio signal through your headphone.
|All TRAKTOR KONTROL Interface- Controllers||
Out 3 + 4
|TRAKTOR KONTROL Interface - Controllers are TRAKTOR controllers equipped with an audio interface (Master and Cue output) - e.g. TRAKTOR KONTROL S8 / S4 / S2 / Z2 / Z1.|
|TRAKTOR AUDIO 2
AUDIO 2 DJ
|Any out 1 / 2 or 3 / 4||If 1 / 2 is selected as Main Output, headphones have to be set to 3 / 4 and vice versa.|
|TRAKTOR AUDIO 6 / 10||
Out 1 + 2
|Shares the same output as MAIN 1/2 (Master output).|
|KOMPLETE AUDIO 6
AUDIO KONTROL 1
|Any out 1 / 2 or 3 / 4||If you set the headphone switch to 1 / 2, the master output is routed to the headphone output - no additional settings required.|
|MASCHINE MK3||Out 3 + 4|
|AUDIO 4 DJ||Out 3 + 4|
|AUDIO 8 DJ||Out 7 + 8|