This article explains how to exchange a fader on your TRAKTOR KONTROL S8 with a replacement fader provided by Native Instruments.
Warning: The replacement of a fader with a third-party fader is not supported and it may lead to the termination of your warranty.
Please keep all the components you remove following the instructions below in a safe place as they are essential parts of the TRAKTOR KONTROL S8 and will be put back to their original position.
1. Removing the Center Plate
- On the middle plate holding the four channel faders and the crossfader, remove the five fader caps by pulling them out with your hand.
- Remove all six screws from the plate using a fitting screwdriver.
- Remove the plate. The fader section of your TRAKTOR KONTROL S8 should now look like in the picture below.
2. Replacing the Fader
Note: This part of the procedure describes the replacement of one fader only, as this is the most common usecase. However, you can replace more than one fader. In this case, make sure to repeat the procedure explained below for each fader one after the other in order to prevent mix-ups between the attachment cables.
- Remove either the four outer screws of one of the two dual fader plates or the four outer screws of the crossfader plate, depending on which fader needs to be replaced. In this example, we are removing the right dual plate as we want to replace the fader of channel B.
- Gently lift the dual plate to expose the bottom side and the cables connecting the fader to the circuit board and identify the fader to be replaced. In our example, it is the channel B fader.
- Carefully remove the plastic connector by applying light pressure with your fingertips and pulling outwards. Do not pull on the cables!
- After removing the connector, lie down the faderplate and remove the two final screws which hold the fader to the plate.
Note: Hold the fader from the bottom of the plate with your hand to prevent the fader from accidentally slipping into the circuit board once the screws are fully removed.
- Once the defective fader has been fully removed, mount the replacement fader onto the plate, observing that it is alligned in the right direction; the silk screen symbol must face the opposite direction of the attachment cables. Finally connect the fader to the cables' plastic cap and tighten the two screws so that the fader is fully attached to the plate.
Once the replacement fader is fully mounted, the plate should look like shown in the picture below.
3. Closing the Center Plate
- Return the dual fader plate to its resting base and tighten the four screws you had previously removed so the dual plate is now securely attached to its base. The dual fader plate should now be secured by a total of eight screws or six screws if you have replaced the crossfader.
- Return the center plate fader to its original position. Finally, secure the remaining six screws using a fitting screwdriver and place the five caps back on the faders.