This article shows you how to use the External Mixer Mode in TRAKTOR DJ. The External Mixer Mode requires an iOS-compatible sound card with two or more stereo outputs and enables you route both of TRAKTOR DJ's Track Decks to separate channels of your DJ mixer. This way you can use TRAKTOR DJ to play and manipulate your tracks while mixing them on your external DJ mixer.
- Connect your iOS-compatible sound card with your iOS-device. Most of them require a connection via the Apple Camera Connection Kit. In our example, we are using the TRAKTOR AUDIO 2 MK2, which has been specifically designed with TRAKTOR DJ on iOS in mind.
- Open TRAKTOR DJ on your iOS-device.
- Slide your finger from the bottom of the screen up towards the middle to open the Browser.
- Press the 'gearwheel'-symbol in the bottom-left corner to open the Preferences and go to the Audio Setup.
Important Note: If the Audio Setup is not listed in the Preferences menu, you are either using a sound card with only one stereo output pair or the sound card has not been successfully recognized by your iOS-device. In case of our iOS-compatible audio interfaces, ensure that the firmware is up to date. Learn more about this here.
- Under Output, activate the External Mixer Mode by sliding the corresponding button to the right. You'll notice that the first two available stereo output channels of your sound card will automatically be assigned to the Deck A Output and the Deck B Output respectively. You can change the output channel selection by pressing on the output names in the list.
- Connect the sound card's physical outputs of the channels assigned to Deck A Output and Deck B Output to two free line input channels of your DJ mixer and turn up the input gain.
You are now ready to play your tracks in TRAKTOR DJ and mix them on your external DJ mixer.