Since REAKTOR 5.8, establishing an OSC connection with third-party controllers has been simplifed for better ease of use. This article will explain how to establish a TouchOSC connection via a local network on a PC for use with REAKTOR 5.
Create a Local Network
- Click on the network icon located in the Windows taskbar and select Open Network and Sharing Center
- Select Manage wireless networks.
- Click on Add.
- Select Create an ad hoc network.
- Now give your new network a name. In this example the name is clem. Choose the Security type you prefer, either WEP or WPA2 are recommended.
Join the Network with your iPad
- On your iPad go to Settings > Wi-Fi and look for your network name. Click on it to join it.
- Click on the right arrow to see its properties. After a few seconds the IP Address should appear. Make a note of the 12 digit number, which should begin with 169.254.... You will need to enter this number further along in this tutorial.
REAKTOR 5 OSC Settings
- Open REAKTOR 5. Click on File>OSC settings. Make sure the box next to OSC Activate is checked and that Receive on Port is set to 10000.
- Click on the OSC Send tab.
Create a new OSC Target by clicking on New. In the Identifier column rename the newly created default entry to iPad. Under IP Address enter the number you made a note of earlier on in the tutorial. Set the Port to 9000.
Setting up TouchOSC on your iPad
- Open TouchOSC on your iPad. In the preferences area go to Connections > OSC and check that OSC is enabled.
- Under Host, enter your local network name.
- In the TouchOSC preferences load any layout. In this example we will load Beatmachine.
- Go back to the REAKTOR 5 OSC Settings window and click on the OSC Receive tab. Move a slider on the Beatmachine layout. Some incoming messages should become visible in the Incoming OSC Monitor area.
Note: If no messages appear in the Incoming OSC Monitor, check if your iPad is properly connected to your local network. In the TouchOSC Connections menu make sure Host name and Port (outgoing) are set up correctly.
- Select the OSC Send tab. Click on the Test button to verify that TouchOSC can receive messages from REAKTOR 5.
- In the TouchOSC software an LED will blink to signal that TouchOSC is receiving messages from REAKTOR 5.
You are now set up to use REAKTOR 5 with TouchOSC.