This article explains how to record an external audio signal in TRAKTOR PRO 2 using the Mix Recorder. This setup requires an audio interface equipped with at least one input channel.
Connecting the External Source
The external audio source needs to be connected to a physical input of the audio interface. In this example we are using the TRAKTOR AUDIO 10.
- Make sure that the audio interface is connected and recognized and then launch TRAKTOR.
- Connect your external audio source to a free input of your audio interface. In this example we are using the input channel A (IN 3-4).
- Set the input channel to the appropriate input level (Input Sens) by going to TRAKTOR Preferences > Audio Setup and clicking on Settings to open up the Channel Setup menu in the Control Panel.
- Set the Input Sens to Phono if you are connecting a turntable directly into the input channel.
- Set the Input Sens to Line if you are connecting a CD player, DJ mixer or other source into the input channel.
Note: the input channel MAIN (IN 1-2) on the TRAKTOR AUDIO 10 only accepts Line level.
In order to send the signal from the input channel of the audio interface into to the Mix Recorder, the input source needs to be selected.
- Go to TRAKTOR Preferences >Input Routing.
- Choose a TRAKTOR channel pair to assign your input source to. In this example we will be routing the input signal of channel A (Ch A Left and Ch A Right) of the TRAKTOR AUDIO 10 into the TRAKTOR channel Input FX Send (Ext).
Note: You can also assign your input source to any Input Deck *Deck letter* if you are not using that Deck to play back your tracks. However, we recommend the use of Input FX Send (Ext).
- If the external audio source is active, the level meters next to the corresponding channel will now show an incoming signal.
Mix Recorder Settings
In order to record the incoming signal, the input source needs to be directed to the Mix Recorder via the TRAKTOR channel we assigned in the previous step.
- Go to Preferences > Mix Recorder.
- Select External to configure the Mix Recorder for recording an external audio signal.
- In the menu External Input, select the channel assigned to the input channel of your audio interface. In our example this is Input FX Send (Ext).
Recording the Audio Signal
Now the external audio signal can be recorded.
- Open the Mix Recorder by clicking on the tape symbol close to the upper right corner of the TRAKTOR main screen.
- If the external audio source is already active and everything is set up properly, the level meter in the Mix Recorder will show an amplitude.
- The level of the audio recording can be controlled with the GAIN knob. Make sure that the level does not go into the red.
- To start and stop recording, click on the record button in the lower left corner of the Mix Recorder.
The recorded files will appear in the Audio Recordings node of the TRAKTOR Browser. The recording path on your hard drive can be set in Preferences > Mix Recorder > File > Directory. By default, the path is set to:
- OS X: Macintosh HD > Users > *Your User Name* > Music > Traktor > Recordings
- Win: C: > Users > *Your User Name* > My Documents > MyMusic > Traktor > Recordings