TRAKTOR 2.11 introduces a Step Sequencer mode for the Remix Decks. The Step Sequencer can be controlled natively with the TRAKTOR KONTROL S8 / D2 / F1 controllers and can be mapped to any third-party MIDI controller.
This article explains the Step Sequencer workflow for the TRAKTOR KONTROL F1 controller. For an explanation on how to use the Step Sequencer with the TRAKTOR KONTROL S8 / D2 controller, please consult this article.
Note: The Step Sequencer mode of the Remix Decks is meant to be used with one-shot samples only (kick, snare, hi-hat, sound FX, etc.) and not with loops.
Loading the KONTROL F1 Mapping
Unlike the TRAKTOR KONTROL S8 / D2 controllers, it is necessary to load and engage the Step Sequencer mapping manually for the TRAKTOR KONTROL F1 controller:
- Make sure your TRAKTOR KONTROL F1 controller is connected and recognized in TRAKTOR.
- Go to TRAKTOR Preferences > Controller Manager.
- Press the Add... button under Device Setup
- From the drop-down menu, select Import TSI > Native Instruments > F1 Step Sequencer *Deck of your Choice*. In the example below, we are choosing the mapping for Deck C, since we will use the TRAKTOR KONTROL F1 to control the Step Sequencer from Remix Deck C.
Now the Step Sequencer mapping has been succesfully loaded and can be found in the Device drop-down menu as Traktor.Kontrol.F1.User mapping.
Switching to Step Sequencer Mode
Note: The switch to the Step Sequencer user mapping on the TRAKTOR KONTROL F1 is only possible if the corresponding option has been set in the TRAKTOR Preferences. For this, make sure that the option User Map is selected under Preferences > Traktor Kontrol F1 > MIDI Mode Type.
- Make sure that the Deck which is in the focus of the TRAKTOR KONTROL F1 controller has been set to Remix Deck by clicking on the Deck letter and selecting Remix Deck.
- Once a Remix Set has been loaded or once you have filled your empty Remix Set with your own samples, press SHIFT+BROWSE on the TRAKTOR KONTROL F1 in order to load the Step Sequencer mapping (User Mapping). Now the pads on the TRAKTOR KONTROL F1 should all be lit in the same color and the display should show a number between 2 and 16.
- Press the BROWSE button once again. This step is required in order for the samples of the Sequencer to be plaid back correctly.
- Finally, make sure that none of the samples (columns) is muted by hovering with your mouse over the waveform display and making sure that the MUTE button for all four samples is not active.
- Press the play button of the Remix Deck either per mouse click or per MIDI / keyboard control.
Now the Step Sequencer is playing back. The display and operation on the TRAKTOR KONTROL F1 will be explained in the next sections.
Operating the Step Sequencer with the TRAKTOR KONTROL F1
- Press any of the four STOP buttons (bottom row) to select and set the focus on a specific sample (columns). The corresponding button will light up and you will be able to operate the Step Sequencer for the currently selected sample.
- Press any pad in the pad area to set the sample in the corresponding step of the sequencer. When the playhead reaches that step, the sample will play back. Press the pad again to remove the sample.
- Move any of the 4 volume faders to control the volume of each sample (column).
- Hold down the SHIFT button and move the encoder above the BROWSE button to select another sample stored in the same column of the Remix Set. If no other sample has been stored, turning the encoder will have no effect.
- Turn the encoder above the BROWSE button to shorten / lengthen the size of the step sequencer (2 step is the lowest, 16 steps is the highest possible size).
- Hold down the SHIFT button and press any of the four STOP buttons (bottom row) to engage the FX Send from an FX Unit. Press SHIFT + the same button again to disengage the FX Send. The effect will only apply to the currently selected sample (column).
- Move any of the FILTER knobs on top of the KONTROL F1 to set the filter cutoff. Return the knob to its middle position to disengage the filter.
- Hold down the SHIFT button and press the CAPTURE or TYPE buttons to increase / decrease the swing parameter (in percentage). The swing value will be shown in the digital display. Release the SHIFT button to hide the swing parameter.
Step Sequencer Display on the TRAKTOR KONTROL F1
While in Step Sequencer mode, the TRAKTOR KONTROL F1 will exhibit the following display behaviour:
- A number between 2 and 16 indicates the amount of steps set for the Step Sequencer of the currently selected sample (8 by default).
- When the swing parameter is engaged (see above), the display can show numbers between 1 and 80.
Pad Area (LEDs)
- The 16 pads represent each step of the Step Sequencer.
- A pad will be dimmed in the color corresponding to the currently selected sample to indicate an available step that has not been set.
- A pad will be fully lit in the color corresponding to the currently selected sample to indicate a step that has been set.
- A pad will be lit in yellow to indicate the current position of the playhead in the sequencer.