The following article explains how to set up Ableton Live 11 with the KOMPLETE KONTROL S-Series MK1 Keyboards on a Mac computer:
This feature requires at least Live 11.0.2 and KOMPLETE KONTROL 2.6.0.
There are four steps involved to set up Live with your KOMPLETE KONTROL S-Series MK1 as explained below:
Download and install the MIDI Remote Script
- Download and unzip the Komplete Kontrol MK1 - Live 11.zip. You can find it at the bottom of this article.
- Open the unzipped folder Ableton Live 11.
- Copy the folder Komplete_Kontrol_Mk1.
- Ensure that Live is not running.
- Open your Applications folder and right-click the Live 11 application symbol. In the context menu, click on Show Package Contents.
- In the Live package, navigate to Contents > App-Resources > MIDI Remote Scripts.
- Paste the Komplete_Kontrol_Mk1 folder you have copied into the "MIDI Remote Scripts" folder:
Installing the KOMPLETE KONTROL Instrument Racks
- Open again the unzipped Ableton Live 11 folder.
- Copy the "Komplete Kontrol VST.adg" and "Komplete Kontrol AU.adg" files to your clipboard by selecting both of them, right-clicking on the selection and choosing Copy 2 Items.
- Paste the .adg files to your Live Instrument Rack folder. By default this folder is located here:
Macintosh HD > Users > *Username* > Music > Ableton > User Library > Presets > Instruments > Instrument Rack
Configuring Live for the use of KOMPLETE KONTROL with the KOMPLETE KONTROL S-Series Keyboards
- Start Live.
- Open Live's Preferences and go to the Link MIDI Tab.
- Assign a free Control Surface slot to Komplete Kontrol Mk1 by selecting it from the drop-down list.
Note: Live's auto-selection may choose the Komplete Kontrol Mk2 instead of the Mk1 automatically. If it does, simply choose the Komplete Kontrol Mk1 from the Control Surface list.
- Select Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1 under Input and Output.
- Go to the Plug-Ins tab of Live's Preferences and make sure the Use Audio Units and Use VST Plug-in System Folders options are activated. If these options were not activated, press the Rescan Plug-Ins button after having set them to On.
Loading KOMPLETE KONTROL in Live
To load KOMPLETE KONTROL in Live, drag the KOMPLETE KONTROL Instrument Rack from the browser to an empty MIDI track. The KOMPLETE KONTROL Instrument Rack is called:
- Komplete Kontrol VST.adg (VST plug-in format)
- Komplete Kontrol AU.adg (Audio Units plug-in format)
You will find the rack here in Live's browser: Instruments > Instrument Rack.
Make sure to use the Instruments Rack version of KOMPLETE KONTROL and not the normal plug-in version. Otherwise, you might experience connection issues as described in this article.
Important Note: Don't use both the AU and VST versions of KOMPLETE KONTROL in the same Live project. You have to use the same plug-in format across all instances in your project. Otherwise automatic track focus will not work correctly.