The following article explains how to set up Ableton Live 11 with the KOMPLETE KONTROL S-Series MK1 Keyboards on a Windows computer:
This feature requires at least Live 11.0.2 and KOMPLETE KONTROL 2.6.0.
There are four steps involved to set up Live with your KOMPLETE KONTROL S-Series MK1 as explained below:
Download and install the MIDI Remote Script
- Download and unzip the Komplete Kontrol MK1 - Live 11.zip. You can find it at the bottom of this article.
- Open the unzipped folder and navigate to Komplete Kontrol MK1 - Live 11 > Ableton Live 11.
- Copy the folder Komplete_Kontrol_Mk1.
- Ensure that Live is not running.
- Go to the MIDI Remote Scripts folder in Live's installation directory. By default, it is located here:
C: > ProgramData > Ableton > Live 11 (Suite) > Resources > MIDI Remote Scripts.
Note: The Program Data folder may be hidden. This article explains how to display hidden files and folders in Windows.
- Paste the folder you have copied into the "MIDI Remote Scripts" folder.
Installing the KOMPLETE KONTROL Instrument Racks
- Open again the unzipped Komplete Kontrol MK1 - Live 11.zip folder and navigate to Komplete Kontrol MK1 - Live 11 > Ableton Live 11.
- Copy the Komplete Kontrol VST.adg file.
- Paste the .adg file to the Instrument Rack folder in your Live User Library. By default this folder is located here:
C: > Users > *Username* > Documents > Ableton > User Library > Presets > Instruments > Instrument Rack
Configuring Live for the use of KOMPLETE KONTROL with the KOMPLETE KONTROL S-Series Keyboards
- Start Live.
- Open Live's Preferences and go to the Link MIDI Tab.
- Assign a free Control Surface slot to Komplete Kontrol Mk1 by selecting it from the drop-down list.
Note: Live's auto-selection may choose the Komplete Kontrol Mk2 instead of the Mk1 automatically. If it does, simply choose the Komplete Kontrol Mk1 from the Control Surface list.
- Select Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1 under Input and Output.
Loading KOMPLETE KONTROL in Live
To load KOMPLETE KONTROL in Live, drag the KOMPLETE KONTROL Instrument Rack from the browser to an empty MIDI Track. The KOMPLETE KONTROL Instrument Rack is called:
- Komplete Kontrol VST.adg
You will find the rack here in Live's browser: Instruments > Instrument Rack. Make sure to use the Instruments Rack version of KOMPLETE KONTROL and not the normal plug-in version. Otherwise, you might experience connection issues as described in this article.