This article explains how to set up the MASCHINE MK3 controller for Ableton Live 11. Once installed, you will be able to use your MASCHINE Mk3 controller for advanced control of Ableton Live.
Download and install the MIDI Remote Script
1.1 Copying the MIDI Remote Script
- Ensure that Ableton Live is not running.
- Download and unzip the Maschine MK3- Live 11 Scripts.zip folder. You can find it at the bottom of this article.
- Open the unzipped folder and copy both the "_NativeInstruments" and the "Maschine_Mk3" folders.
1.2 Pasting the MIDI Remote Script Folder into the Ableton Live Application Package
- Open your Applications folder and right-click the Live application symbol. In the context menu, click on Show Package Contents.
- In the Ableton Live package, navigate to Contents > App-Resources > MIDI Remote Scripts.
- Paste the folder you have copied to your clipboard into the "MIDI Remote Scripts" folder:
- Go to the MIDI Remote Scripts folder in Ableton Live's installation directory. By default, it is located here:
C: > ProgramData > Ableton > Live 11 (Suite) > Resources > MIDI Remote Scripts.
Note: The Program Data folder may be hidden. This article explains how to display hidden files and folders in Windows.
- Paste the folder you have copied to your clipboard into the "MIDI Remote Scripts" folder.
Configuring Ableton Live for the MASCHINE MK3 Template
Once the MIDI remote scripts are installed in the correct location, you need to activate MASCHINE MK3 as Control Surface in Ableton Live's preferences.
- Start Ableton Live.
- Open Ableton Live's Preferences and go to the Link Tempo MIDI Tab.
- Assign a free Control Surface slot to Maschine Mk3 by selecting it from the drop-down list.
- Leave both the Input and the Output for the Maschine Mk3 control surface set to None.
Switch your MASCHINE MK3 Controller to Control Ableton Live
When Maschine Mk3 is defined as Control Surface Ableton Live, all you need to do is switch the controller to Ableton.
- This is done automatically if there are no MASCHINE instances present.
- If other MASCHINE instances are present (plug-in or standalone), press simultaneously SHIFT + PLUG-IN on your controller to access the Instance page. Then select "Ableton Live" as Instance.