In certain scenarios you may wish to route your samples from BATTERY 4 to separate tracks in your host software. This allows you to apply different send and insert effects or use your host's volume and panorama controls for each drum sound individually. This article will explain how to route BATTERY 4 Cells to separate audio tracks in Pro Tools 10.
BATTERY 4 Setup
- Load BATTERY 4 as a plug-in in Pro Tools.
- After loading a BATTERY Kit, select and right-click the Cell you wish to send to a separate audio output. A drop-down menu will appear.
- Select Output and then choose either Master, Buses, or Direct Out, depending on your output configuration. In the below screenshot a Cell has been routed to channel St 3/4.
Note: By default, all Cells are routed to the Master channel (St 1/2).
- Repeat the above step for all the Cells you wish to send to separate outputs.
Pro Tools Setup
- Open the Mix Board view in Pro Tools.
- Create some new audio tracks. Assign the input of each audio track to a separate BATTERY output channel in ascending order. For example, if a Cell has been routed to BATTERY output St.3/4, choose input St 3/4 in the respective Pro Tools audio track.
Note: Make sure to record-enable each audio track so that Pro Tools can receive audio from the BATTERY Cells.
Now when you trigger a Cell in BATTERY, its audio will be played back through the respective audio track in Pro Tools.