When using multiple instruments loaded in KONTAKT 5, you may want to route them to separate channels in Digital Performer, for example if you wish to use different insert/send effects or apply the Digital Performer volume and panorama controls to each instrument individually. Follow the below instructions to configure KONTAKT 5 and Digital Performer for multi-output use:
- Load KONTAKT 5 as a Stereo plug-in instance (Project > Add Track > Instrument Track > Native Instruments > Kontakt 5 (stereo)).
- Once KONTAKT is open, tick Outputs in the Workspace menu to make the outputs area visible at the bottom of KONTAKT's interface.
- Add or delete mixer channels in this area by clicking on the '+' or '-' buttons within the mixer. At the bottom of each channel a button represents the current KONTAKT output channel assignments. Click on this button to open KONTAKT's channel output configuration window and configure the signal path destination for each channel.
- Next, specify which physical out each KONTAKT channel should correspond to within Digital Performer. In this example, the first channel, named st. 1 (a stereo channel), is assigned to plugin out #1 (left channel) and plugin out #2 (right channel). The second channel, st. 2, is assigned to plugin out #3 (left channel) and plugin out #4 (right channel). Continue this process for the remaining mixer channels in KONTAKT depending on what you need.
Note: In Digital performer, the physical outs are displayed as plugin out #1, plugin out #2 and so on. This name will vary depending on which sequencer you are using.
- After configuration is complete, click on the save output section preset as dialogue within the Presets / Batch Configuration drop-down menu to save your new KONTAKT mixer output configuration as a preset file.
- Load some instruments into KONTAKT 5. The Output menu of each instrument is set to the first available KONTAKT output channel: st. 1 by default. You can change the Output setting of the instruments by clicking in this area. A drop-down menu will appear allowing you to set a different output channel, eg. st. 2, st. 3, st. 4 and so on.
- Repeat the above step for the other KONTAKT 5 instruments in your rack you wish to send to separate outputs.
- Open the Mixing Board view in Digital Performer.
- Create some new Aux tracks in Digital Performer 8 (Project > Add Track > Aux Track). Assign the input of each Aux track to a respective KONTAKT output channel in ascending order.
Now, when you play an instrument in KONTAKT 5, it will be played back through the respective Digital Performer Aux track its output is assigned to.