The REAKTOR Factory Library consists of Sound Generators, Grooveboxes, Sample Transformers, Effects, Synthesizers and Sequencers. This article will explain how to route the REAKTOR 5 Sequencer Spiral to an internal REAKTOR 5 Synthesizer. In this example we will use Steampipe as our synthesizer.
- Open REAKTOR either in stand-alone mode or as plug-in.
- Click the FACTORY tab to obtain an overview of the REAKTOR 5 Factory Library.
- Within the browse tree go to:
Factory > Instruments > Sequencers > "Spiral.ism"
- Double-click "Spiral.ins" or drag it to the main working area in REAKTOR to open the Instrument in a new Ensemble.
Note: In REAKTOR terminology, an Instrument can be a traditional instrument like Synth, Sequencer, Effect or Sampler whereas an Ensemble can host more than one Instrument.
Spiral has now been inserted into the Ensemble Structure.
- Within the file tree go to:
Factory > Instruments > Synthesizer > "SteamPipe 1.ism"
- Double-click "SteamPipe 1.ism" or drag it to the main working area in the Ensemble Structure.
SteamPipe has now been inserted into the Ensemble Structure.
- Select the Spiral instrument by clicking its icon. The colour of the instrument will switch to red.
- Click the CONNECT button on the left-hand side of REAKTOR 5.
- In the MIDI OUT section, click in the To Internal Instruments drop-down menu and select SteamPipe.
- Click and hold on the L Output (or the small dot beside it) of the SteamPipe Instrument, and then drag your mouse towards Out 1. When you reach the Out 1 Input or the dot beside it, let go of your mouse button. Repeat this procedure for the R Output of Steampipe and connect it to Out 2. After having made these connections to the Audio Terminals, your panel should look like this:
- Deactivate Edit Mode by clicking the tree icon in the upper menu tab. This will change the Ensemble Structure View to the Panel View.
- Press play in REAKTOR 5. Spiral will immediately start sending audible MIDI notes to SteamPipe.
Spiral is now using its generative algorithms to create melodies in SteamPipe. For more information on Spiral and SteamPipe, refer to the REAKTOR 5.5 Instrument Reference Manual located under Documentation within the REAKTOR 5 application folder. To save the Ensemble under a new name go to File > Save Ensemble As and select a name and location.