This guide will help you to use the internal effects in TRAKTOR PRO 2 as Send Effects from your external DJ-mixer. Especially with a 2-Deck Scratch Control setup this is a convenient way to add TRAKTOR`s effects to your external mix. Note that this configuration requires an external DJ-mixer with effect send outputs and effect return inputs. Additionally, you will need one free stereo input and one free stereo output on your soundcard. In this example, we are using the TRAKTOR AUDIO 10 soundcard and an Allen & Heath Xone 4D mixer.
- Plug a standard RCA cable to the send output of your mixer and connect it to a free input on your soundcard. In our example, we are using the FX1 SEND output on the Xone 4D and the D IN ports (Ch. 9/10) on the TRAKTOR AUDIO 10.
- Plug a standard RCA cable to the return input of your mixer and connect it to a free output on your soundcard. In our example, we are using the FX1 input from the FX RETURNS section on the Xone 4D and the D OUT ports (Ch. 9/10) on the TRAKTOR AUDIO 10.
- Open TRAKTOR Preferences > Output Routing. The Output FX Return needs to be set to the output channels of your soundcard to which you connected the mixer`s return input in step 2. In our example, we set the Output FX Return to 9: Ch D Left and 10: Ch D Right.
- Go to the Input Routing tab of the Preferences. The Input FX Send (Ext) needs to be set to the input channels of your soundcard to which you connected the mixer`s send output in step 1. In our example, we set the Input FX Send (Ext) to 9: Ch D Left and 10: Ch D Right.
- Finally, open the Effects Preferences. Under FX Unit Routing you can choose which effect units are added to your Send Effect configuration. If you just want the first effect unit to be fed from the Send of your external mixer, set the FX1 to Send and keep the Insert setting for the other effect units. If you use more than one effect unit in Send mode, they are chained in the order FX1 > FX2 > FX3 > FX4. In Send mode, the effect units become independent from TRAKTOR’s internal signal flow and can only be used with the send effect function of your external mixer.
You can now add the selected TRAKTOR effect units to your external mix by activating the effects sends on your DJ-mixer via the corresponding knobs or buttons. If the effect returns on your mixer have dedicated volume knobs, make sure they are turned up and the return signal is added to the mix.