This article explains how to insert Native Instruments plug-ins in Sonar, including:
- Inserting instrument plug-ins (e.g. FM8, KONTAKT, etc.) in a software instrument track.
- Inserting effect plug-ins (e.g. GUITAR RIG 5, SUPERCHARGER, etc.) in an audio FX insert slot.
Note: some NI products can be inserted both as instrument or effect plug-in (e.g. ABSYNTH 5 / ABSYNTH 5 FX, etc.).
Inserting a NI Instrument Plug-In
- Click the keyboard symbol in the browser area to open the Synth Rack in Sonar
- Click the + button and go to Insert Synths > vst 64 or vst 32 (depending on whether you are running Sonar in 64-bit or 32-bit)
- Select the plug-in you wish to load. In this example we choose FM8.
This will create a new track containing the instrument plug-in (FM8 in our example)
You can now play the plug-in's sounds via a MIDI keyboard or record MIDI data on the software instrument track.
Inserting a NI Plug-in as Insert Effect
- Right-click the FX section of the track(s) where you wish to load the effect and then choose o Audio FX > vst 64 or vst 32 (depending on whether you are running Sonar in 64-bit or 32-bit).
- Select the plug-in you wish to load. In this example we choose Guitar Rig 5.
The effect you loaded now appears in the FX section of the track.