Since REAKTOR 5.8, the process of mapping MIDI or OSC controllers has been simplified. This article explains how to map MIDI and OSC controllers in both standalone and plug-in mode within REAKTOR 5.8.
Activating the MIDI Device (for Users Running REAKTOR in Standalone Mode)
Note: If you are running REAKTOR 5 as a plug-in skip the section and go directly to Mapping MIDI and OSC controls via MIDI Learn.
To map a MIDI or OSC control to a REAKTOR 5 parameter in standalone mode, you must first activate your desired MIDI or OSC device. Follow the steps below to learn how to set up a MIDI device. For information on how to activate an OSC device, please refer to the OSC-related Knowledge Base articles linked in the Related Articles section at the bottom of this page.
- Connect your MIDI controller to your computer and launch REAKTOR in standalone mode.
- Open the Audio and MIDI Settings window.
- In the Audio and MIDI Settings, activate the MIDI device you wish to use (in our example it is a Maschine Controller) in the Inputs and Outputs tabs depending on what you need.
Mapping MIDI or OSC Controls via MIDI Learn
In REAKTOR 5 there are several ways to assign MIDI or OSC controls to a particular parameter (CUTOFF, TUNE etc.).
- To map your parameters via MIDI Learn, right-click on the desired parameter in a REAKTOR Ensemble and select MIDI & OSC Learn.
- Assign the selected parameter to your controller by moving a fader, button or key. The REAKTOR parameter will respond immediately.
- Save the ensemble to make your assignment(s) permanent via the Autosave function. Please refer to the "Autosave Feature" section in the Reaktor Application Reference manual for more information. The manual is located in the REAKTOR application folder on your hard-drive.
Mapping MIDI or OSC Controls via the Panel Control
To create more complex MIDI or OSC assignments, it is recommended to use the Panel Control tab. To access this area, click on the third tab from the left in the REAKTOR browser.
One advantage of the Panel Control tab is that you can first create a list of all the MIDI or OSC controls you wish to use in REAKTOR 5 and conveniently map them afterwards.
- To access this feature, first activate the Auto Listening option.
- The panel will now list all incoming control messages. The MIDI tab will list these messages as in the example below.
- The OSC tab will list incoming messages as in the example below.
- Assign a control to a desired parameter within your ensemble via drag-and-drop. Simply click on the icon in front of a listed Control and drag it to a desired parameter in your ensemble.
- Once an assignment has been made, the respective parameter (here Razor:F1 Kb1) will appear in the Target column.