This article explains how to import playlists created in the Track Collection of TRAKTOR PRO 2 into your TRAKTOR DJ app on an iOS device via the iTunes software.
Note: It is only possible to transfer playlists from TRAKTOR PRO 2 to TRAKTOR DJ but not the other way around.
Exporting a TRAKTOR Playlist as .m3u File
First, your TRAKTOR PRO 2 playlists need to be exported to your hard drive, as explained below:
- In TRAKTOR's browser tree, open the Playlists folder to display all your existing playlists.
- Highlight the playlist you wish to import, right-click it and select Export Playlist from the context menu.
- In the Exporting Tracks dialog box, select the Destination folder on your hard drive where the exported playlist will be saved. You can also change the Playlist Title if you wish to rename it before exporting.
- Make sure that you are selecting M3U (and NOT NML) as Export Format.
- Uncheck the box Copy Tracks to Destination as you will only be transferring the playlist information and not the actual files in this procedure.
- Confirm the export with OK. Your playlist can now be found in your Destination folder in the iTunes-compatible .m3u format.
Importing your Playlist into iTunes
There are different methods to import .m3u playlists into iTunes. The procedure explained below reflects one of them. In this example, we will be using iTunes version 11.
Note: We recommend to uncheck the option Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library in the iTunes Preferences > Advanced tab to avoid unnecessary duplicates of files.
- Open the iTunes software.
- Make sure that the sidebar is being displayed by selecting View > Show Sidebar
- In order to add your playlist to iTunes, you can either drag the playlist file directly from its folder location and drop it onto the PLAYLISTS bar or you can select File > Library > Import Playlist and open the .m3u playlist you exported before. After this, the name of your playlist will appear in the sidebar displaying the entries of your titles.
Note: If the titles contained in the playlist had not been previously added to your iTunes Library, they will be added during the import of the Playlist.
Importing your Playlist onto your iPad
There are different methods to import playlists and their associated media into your iPad. We recommend to proceed as explained below:
- Connect your iPad to a free USB port on your system. The name of your iPad will appear in the DEVICES sidebar.
Note: If iTunes had been previously closed, it should now launch automatically, depending on your iTunes settings. If not, launch iTunes now. The iPad will automatically sync to iTunes
- Select your iPad from the DEVICES sidebar. Make sure that the Summary tab is selected and then scroll down to the Options section. Then make sure that the box Manually manage music and videos is checked.
- Now you can just drag your playlist from the PLAYLISTS bar and drop it onto your iPad in the DEVICES bar. The name of your playlist will then appear underneath your iPad, containing the entries for all the titles. If the titles contained in the playlist had not been previously copied to your iPad, they will be automatically copied now.
- The playlist and its contents have now been succesfully imported to your iPad.
Using your Playlist in TRAKTOR DJ
After the Playlist has been copied to your iPad, you may eject it from your computer and disconnect. Then simply launch TRAKTOR DJ, open your Browser and go to the Playlists tab. The name of your playlist will show up, containing all its titles ready for playback in the TRAKTOR DJ Decks.